Coders should also take note of the new HCPCS Level II codes CMS is considering.
CMS released the calendar year (CY) 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) on August 3, introducing 39 new CPT codes, mainly for cardiovascular services. If finalized, the new codes will go into effect January 1, 2021.
The proposed update includes five new codes for cardiovascular procedures, including a primary and add-on code set for transcatheter intracardiac shunt (TIS) creation. It also includes eight new codes for external EKG recordings.
A few new codes are:
- 33XX1, TIS creation by stent placement for congenital cardiac anomalies to establish effective intracardiac flow, all imaging guidance by the proceduralist when performed, left and right heart diagnostic cardiac catherization for congenital cardiac anomalies, and target zone angioplasty, when performed; initial intracardiac shunt
- 339X1, insertion of ventricular assist device, percutaneous, including radiological supervision and interpretation; right heart, venous access only
- 933XX2, external EKG recording for more than 48 hours up to 7 days by continuous rhythm recording and storage; scanning analysis with repor
CMS also proposes to add new codes for the following services:
- Computer-aided mapping of cervix uteri during colposcopy
- Percutaneous core needle biopsy of the lung or mediastinum, with image guidance when performed
- Screening of auditory evoked potentials
- Vestibular evoked myogenic potential testing
Coders should also take note of the new HCPCS Level II codes CMS is considering. The majority do not have proposed work relative value units (RVU), including two codes for percutaneous arteriovenous fistula creation.